In this review, we highlight the main features of Amazon Key for Business, review the pricing model, weigh pros and cons, and provide a thoughtful comparison to video intercom and access control systems.
What is Amazon Key for Business?
Amazon Key for Business is a smart fob that allows Amazon drivers to enter a building and deliver shipments without the assistance of the building’s staff. To be eligible, a building or gated community must have 10 or more units that order deliveries directly from Amazon. The premises should also have a compatible electronic access control system installed for Amazon Key to work. While Key for Business installs on existing access control systems, it does not change the existing access control experience for residents.
Pricing – Is Key for Business Really Free?
Yes, Amazon Key For Business is a free solution provided by Amazon to alleviate the burden on multi-unit and gated communities handling a large amount of Amazon deliveries. The Key for Business device, maintenance, and installation is completely free. Compatible cameras, locks, and other hardware, however, need to be purchased separately.
How Does Key for Business Work?
Amazon Key for Business installs on a building’s existing access control system. Once installed, the delivery driver can request access to the building through the Amazon delivery app on the day of delivery. Then, the driver goes through an authentication process to confirm identity upon arrival. This includes driver ID, route, location, and the time of access. They are then issued one-time, time-bound access to make deliveries.
Amazon Key for Business Features
- Automated Access for Amazon Drivers: Amazon Key for Business integrates with existing access control systems and allows Amazon delivery drivers to request access through the Amazon delivery app. Reaching the building, the drivers can unlock the door from the app and place the packages inside.
- Single-Entry, Time-Bound Access: Access is only granted within the scheduled time and is valid for one entry only. The driver has to confirm that the door is relocked once they leave. Amazon Key App also allows residents or staff to unlock the door from the app for non-Amazon deliveries or other visitors. Residents can keep using the access control system normally.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: Amazon Key for Business comes with robust security to ensure that only authorized drivers can access the building. Multi factor authentication validates the driver’s ID, route, GPS location, and time of the request before allowing access.
- Entry Notification and Video: Amazon Cloud Cam can be added to watch 15-second live video clips or cloud recordings of the drivers’ entry via Amazon Key App. Building managers also get a notification for each delivery and can disable or enable driver access at any time.
- Compatible Access Control Systems: Amazon Key For Business works with most types of electronic access control systems and smart locks. It is installed at hundreds of properties across America including apartment buildings owned by Kettler, Avalon, WinnCompanies, and other real estate companies.
Amazon Key for Business Review
The biggest advantage of Amazon Key For Business appears to be its price. It reduces the headache and workload associated with handling deliveries at residential and commercial buildings, high rises, and gated communities that receive a large number of shipments from Amazon. Key For Business, however, is not a replacement for a proper visitor management or access control system.
Advantages and Main Benefits
- Reduces the workload and saves time for front desk and mailroom staff
- Streamlines and automates deliveries
- Increases delivery compliance by 80%
- Streamlines the Amazon secure delivery experience, since packages do not have to be left outside
- Reduced risk of Amazon package theft
- Partial Solution: Key For Business provides automatic access for Amazon deliveries only. You’ll still need to have another app or system for allowing programmed access to other couriers like general Fedex/UPS/USPS packages, dog walkers, cleaning services, and other visitors. This doesn’t protect non Amazon packages from theft.
- Building Security: Privacy is more important to building owners and residents than ever. The thought of the world’s biggest retailer having access to their building is too close to home for some. There have also been questions regarding delivery drivers being able to see building access codes, and the legitimacy of Key for Business Amazon representatives. However, Amazon has confirmed that delivery drivers never have access to building codes, and they provide a phone number to call to confirm identification should it be called into question.
- Liability: Amazon does not take responsibility for damage to deliveries. So, additional package management measures should be in place to ensure secure delivery.
Amazon Key for Business vs. Swiftlane Intercom and Access Control
Amazon Key for Business is an add-on solution to access and delivery management. Swiftlane Access Control and Video Intercom, on the other hand, is a comprehensive common area solution. It supports programmable automatic entry for delivery drivers, dog walkers, cleaning crews, and other visitors and guests. Swiftlane Video Intercom also allows residents and staff to see and speak with visitors and allows remote access from the Swiftlane App.
While the two solutions are different from one another, below is a comparison of the two systems. This comparison should help in identifying the access needs of any particular building.
Upgrade Your Building Security
Get in touch with a Swiftlane specialist for more information on the best access control and video intercom solution for your building.