As urbanization continues to expand, various types of living spaces have emerged to cater to the diverse needs of individuals and families. One such option is the garden-style apartments.
In this blog post, we will explore what garden-style apartments are, the pros and cons of living in them, and how modern access control systems play a vital role in ensuring safety and security. We will also discuss the differences between high-rise, mid-rise, and garden-style apartments and provide a year-over-year growth analysis of the garden-style apartment market.
Table of contents
- What is a Garden-Style Apartment?
- Pros of Living in Garden-Style Apartments
- Cons of Living in Garden-Style Apartments
- High-Rise, Mid-Rise, and Garden-Style Apartments: Understanding the Differences
- The Importance of Modern Access Control Systems in Garden-Style Apartments
- Year-Over-Year Growth of the Garden-Style Apartment Market
- Guide to Apartment Intercom System
- Top Apartment Amenities: A Guide for Landlords & Renters
- Access Control Trends in 2023: The Future of Access Control
- Keyless Entry Systems for Apartments- Essential Tips for Buying
What is a Garden-Style Apartment?
A garden-style apartment is an apartment complex typically characterized by low-rise buildings, usually no more than three stories, surrounded by landscaped green spaces such as gardens, lawns, and trees.
These apartments are predominantly found in suburban and rural areas, offering a more laid-back atmosphere compared to high-rise and mid-rise buildings. Garden level apartments often have exterior entrances and staircases, providing residents with direct access to the outdoors and more privacy.
Pros of Living in Garden-Style Apartments
Access to Nature
One of the main benefits of living in a garden-style apartment community is the access to nature it provides. The greenery and open spaces surrounding these apartments can offer a peaceful and serene living environment, which can be a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Garden-style apartments are generally not located in high-rise buildings, meaning there are fewer stairs to climb to access your living space. This can be a significant advantage, especially for individuals with mobility issues or those who simply prefer to avoid climbing multiple flights of stairs.
Lower Cooling Costs
Garden-style apartments, being located on lower levels, tend to be cooler than higher-level apartments. This is especially beneficial during the hot summer months when air conditioning usage can be reduced, resulting in cost savings.
As garden-style apartments are often located in suburban or rural areas, the rent for these properties is typically more affordable compared to similar-sized apartments in metropolitan areas.
Reduced Neighbor Drama
Garden-style apartments are usually separate from one another, providing a more private living environment. Neighbors are often located at a fair distance from your unit, reducing the likelihood of noise disturbances and other neighbor-related issues.
The abundance of outdoor space in garden-style apartment complexes makes them an ideal choice for pet owners. Easy access to outdoor areas for walks and playtime is a significant advantage for those with pets, especially when compared to high-rise apartment living.
Easy Access to Parking
Garden-style apartments often offer on-site outdoor parking near your apartment unit, making it easier to park your vehicle without the need to search for a spot in a garage or on the street.
Cons of Living in Garden-Style Apartments
Limited Natural Light
Garden-style apartments may have less natural light compared to other types of apartments due to the surrounding trees and foliage. This can be a disadvantage for individuals who prefer a well-lit living environment.
Garden-style apartments can be more humid than other types of apartments, which may be uncomfortable for some residents. The increased moisture may also attract pests, requiring additional pest control measures.
Ground-level garden apartments may have less privacy due to the proximity of outdoor spaces and neighboring units. Window treatments and strategic landscaping can help mitigate this concern.
Higher Heating Costs
While garden apartments are generally cooler, they may require additional heating during colder months, leading to higher energy bills.
High-Rise, Mid-Rise, and Garden-Style Apartments: Understanding the Differences
Each type of apartment building offers unique features and benefits, catering to various preferences and lifestyles. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between high-rise, mid-rise, and garden-style apartments
High-rise apartments are typically found in urban settings and consist of buildings with more than six stories. These buildings often come equipped with elevators and various amenities, such as gyms, pools, and concierge services. Residents of high rise buildings enjoy panoramic views, enhanced security, and a strong sense of community. However, these apartments may also come with higher rents and less access to outdoor spaces.
Mid-rise apartments fall between high-rise and garden-style apartments in terms of height, usually ranging from four to six stories. These buildings are often found in urban and suburban areas and provide a mix of the benefits found in high-rise and garden-style apartments. Mid-rise apartments may include some amenities and shared spaces, while also offering more affordable rents and a greater sense of privacy than high-rise apartments.
As discussed earlier, garden-style apartments are low-rise buildings surrounded by landscaped green spaces. These apartments offer a more relaxed atmosphere, with increased access to nature and lower rents. However, they may have fewer amenities and reduced natural light compared to high-rise or mid-rise apartments.
The Importance of Modern Access Control Systems in Garden-Style Apartments
As with any living arrangement, security is a top priority for residents of garden-style apartments. Implementing modern access control systems can significantly enhance the safety and security of these properties, providing peace of mind for both residents and property managers.
Benefits of Modern Access Control Systems
- Improved Security: Advanced access control systems offer better protection against unauthorized entry, utilizing technology such as keyless entry, biometrics, and smart locks to ensure only authorized individuals have access to the property.
- Convenience: Keyless entry and smart lock systems eliminate the need for physical keys, making it easier for residents to enter their apartments and reducing the risk of lost or stolen keys.
- Remote Management: Property managers can monitor and manage access to the property remotely, allowing them to grant or revoke access as needed and respond quickly to security concerns.
- Customizable Access Levels: Access control systems enable property management company to sets different levels of access for residents, staff, and visitors, ensuring that each individual has access only to the appropriate areas of the property.
- Activity Monitoring: Modern access control systems provide real-time data on entry and exit activity, enabling property managers to track and analyze patterns and identify any potential security threats.
By integrating modern access control systems, garden-style apartment complexes can offer residents a secure living environment while also streamlining property management processes.
How Does Swiftlane Work?
Swiftlane smart access technology provides safer, more secure access solutions for residential or commercial buildings using face recognition access, mobile access, and visitor PINs. It also includes built-in video intercom calling for handling visitor entry and allowing visitors to be buzzed in through a remote door unlock.
Swiftlane provides separate card readers and face recognition Access Control readers which can connect to any existing door locks for example electronic strikes mag locks and electric latch.
Designed to protect your investment
- SwiftReader X comes with IK10 rating, the highest rating for impact protection
- Ensures that your investment can last for decades to come
- Swiftlane also provides free vandal replacement insurance
- IP65 rated for weather protection
- Works in extreme heat and cold
Year-Over-Year Growth of the Garden-Style Apartment Market
The garden-style apartment market has experienced steady growth in recent years, driven by factors such as increasing demand for suburban living, shifting work-from-home trends, and the appeal of a more relaxed lifestyle. Below is a summary of the year-over-year growth of the garden-style apartment market:
- In 2022, the market saw a moderate increase in demand, as renters began to explore alternative living options outside of densely populated urban centers.
- The year 2023 is witnessing a more significant growth in the garden-style apartment market, fueled by the continued shift towards remote work and the appeal of suburban living. Developers are starting to recognize the potential of this market segment, leading to an increase in new construction projects.
- By 2024, the garden-style apartment market will firmly establish itself as a popular choice among renters, with a steady rise in demand and rental rates. More sophisticated amenities and designs will be introduced to attract a wider range of renters.
- In 2025, the garden-style apartment market will continue to experience robust growth, driven by ongoing trends toward remote work and an increased focus on health and well-being. The market will also benefit from a growing awareness of the importance of green space and access to nature.
- The garden-style apartment market is expected to maintain its strong growth trajectory in 2026, as more individuals and families seek living options that offer the perfect balance between urban amenities and suburban tranquility. The focus on modern access control systems and security measures will likely play a crucial role in attracting and retaining residents, contributing to the ongoing success of this market segment.
Garden-style apartments have emerged as a popular living option for individuals and families seeking the perfect balance between urban amenities and the tranquility of suburban living. As more people prioritize access to nature, green spaces, and a healthier lifestyle, the demand for garden apartments is expected to continue growing. While there are certain drawbacks, such as reduced natural light and privacy concerns, the benefits of living in a garden-style apartment often outweigh the downsides.
The implementation of modern access control systems is essential to ensuring the security and convenience of these properties, further enhancing their appeal. As these communities become more popular, property owners and managers must prioritize safety by implementing advanced security measures to protect residents and their belongings.
Need More Info?
Contact a Swiftlane expert to navigate your options and find the best solution for your building.