In this review, you’ll find an in-depth look at the ButterflyMX Smart Intercom, including key features, pricing, and reviews. With a side-by-side comparison of key intercom features, you’ll be able to evaluate your building’s needs and choose the right solution.
For more reviews and comparisons of apartment intercom systems, visit the best video intercom systems guide.
ButterflyMX Intercom Features
Key Features for Property Managers and Building Owners
- Ability to see door release event history for up to 365 days
- Manage tenant and visitor permissions
- Integration with property management software (PMS)
Key Features for Tenants
- Remote unlock feature for tenants or guests through smartphone
- Visitors can be sent virtual keys for managed access
- Two-way video intercom calling
7” Surface Intercom: $3650, with 2 year warranty
7” Recessed Intercom: $4150, with 2 year warranty
11.6” Surface Intercom: $5650, with 2 year warranty
11.6” Recessed Intercom: $6150, with 2 year warranty
ButterflyMX software is priced based on the number of units, starting at $750/yr for residential. Commercial pricing is based on the number of employees and starts at $2400/yr, based on pricing available in September 2020.
- Has been around for approx. 10 years
- Multiple fancy integrations, primarily only attractive to large buildings
- Many deployments within the major markets with strong traction in Class A buildings
- 6-digit access PIN available if keys or phone are left behind
- Elevator controls through mobile app
- Alexa- or Siri-enabled voice controls
- High cost: ButterflyMX is very expensive compared to other products in the market. Most modern intercoms start at $1200, whereas ButterflyMX starts around $3500, plus requires several additional pieces like an active internet connection, a POE+ switch, UPS battery backup, and door lock power supply components (if not available).
- Installation is done by outsourced third party installers. Unclear how local support could be provided if there are issues.
- As an intercom system only, ButterflyMX requires a separate access control solution to be installed. This increases installation cost and overall operational overhead including training and managing multiple systems.
- Large panels are a space constraint and increase cost of labor and install in smaller spaces. Additionally, large panels are a limitation to install in all entrances needed. Finally, the larger panel can attract vandals and require expensive replacements and repair in the event of a vandal incident.
- The Virtual Key QR code cannot be used for embedding in delivery instructions, causing issues with effective delivery management.
- No ability to set up multiple front desk callers.
- Does not support temporary PIN access for guests.
ButterflyMX Intercom vs. Swiftlane Video Intercom
ButterflyMX Intercom is known for their smartphone property access initiative. Their Smart Intercom is an innovative and intuitive solution to visitor management, but should be examined with careful consideration.
A holistic approach to building security includes all access functions that cater to tenant and occupant needs. The ButterflyMX system lacks single-use PIN access, causing a gap in what should be an inclusive visitor management solution. Additionally, the system does not have built-in access control functionality, which is a feature of most high-end access solutions, particularly those with a pricing model and cost similar to ButterflyMX.
Though inclusive access control functions may not be a priority for all, security should be. The ButterflyMX system poses some security risks. The door relay can be manipulated to trigger an unauthorized unlock, and the hardware and design are inconsistent with a discrete system.
Convenience and flexibility is, of course, also a consideration — it’s one of the main reasons buildings get an intercom solution in the first place! Without consistent local support or channelling the benefit of local integrators, administrators will not always have an easy time rectifying issues. Tenants and occupants are also burdened with the inconvenience of in-app incoming calls as opposed to regular phone calls, without the ability to forward or simultaneously channel a backup caller.
Nevertheless, to navigate which system will be right for your video intercom needs, we have reviewed ButterflyMX Intercom and compared it to Swiftlane Video Intercom to give you a comprehensive look at all available access control and visitor management options.
Get a free quote or talk to a Swiftlane specialist about choosing the right intercom solution for your building.